We caught up with Caroline Hughes, one of our recent Trinity CertTESOL graduates to find out more about what made her train to become an English teacher.
1. Where are you from and what is your background?
I was born and raised in Billericay in Essex. I have been qualified as a Beauty Therapist for almost 10 years. I have lived in Australia for a year and travelled to South-east Asia, Japan and South America.
2. What attracted you to TEFL?
I love to travel and I have always been interested in teaching and they go hand in hand.
3. Why did you choose to study the Trinity CertTESOL course?
It was recommended by a friend and heard great things about it. I researched it and was happy to go with this course.
4. What are some of the best things about living in Barcelona?
The city and architecture is beautiful and the atmosphere of the city is incredible. It is so social and there are things going on all the time.
5. What was the course like?
The course was very intense, you have no time to do much else, but the sense of achievement afterwards is a great feeling.
6. What was the best part of the course for you?
For me it was gaining the confidence to teach a group of students and also meeting some great people within the course, they helped me through it.
7. What was the most challenging part of the course for you?
Standing in front of the class and teaching and having confidence in your knowledge of English. This comes with time but after the 4 weeks you feel like a different person from when you started.
8. What are your plans now that you are fully-qualified?
I would like to have a mixture of classes, teaching children and adults in Barcelona.
9. What is the job market like for English teachers in Barcelona?
There is a lot out there and you can plan your schedule around your other things.
10. Can you give three pieces of advice to those thinking about studying a TEFL course abroad?
- It is very full-on so be prepared to work really hard.
- Take time doing the pre-course task so you are familiar with the grammar before you come.
- Enjoy it and remember you are here to learn, practice makes perfect!
If you would like to study or live abroad, you might consider taking the Trinity CertTESOL course in one of our centres. Get in touch to find out more or apply for the course here.