This is Alan Wong, one of the DipTESOL graduates from Aug 2007, Bacelona. I am currently working for English for Asia (this company is also a Trinity Representative) in Hong Kong, China. There is a huge demand in qualified Native English Teahcers (CELTA / Trinity Cert TESOL here. Both in part time courses and full time positions.
- In general, for FT postions, it is called NET scheme here, applicants can apply through the Education Dept (EDB) website. The pay is around HKD 20,000 – 32,000 + Housing allowance depending on the qualifications and experience.
- It is also fine to apply to work for some education agencies as a FT NET and or to teach short courses. Like the company that I am working for.
- To look for jobs, two reputable and recommended websites –www.jobsdb.com.hk and www.classifiedpost.com .
- Conditions: NETs are well-respected here. The transportation system is well developed, It is very convenient to go from one spot to another – you don’t need a car. The cost of living is relative low, rent, food and travel expenses are cheap. In short, teachers here are able to save up to 30% of their salary.
- There are MANY public schools, internations schools and education agencies / institutes here need NETs.
- The immigration here deals with VISA applications effeciently. No much of hassle
Of course, the above information is in a nut shell. If you need to have any further info in any area, do let me know.