Last Updated Sunday, 5th April at 19:00
We are aware that you may be anxious about your course and travel plans due to the Coronavirus. We are carefully monitoring the latest news regarding the outbreak and we are regularly adapting our courses and support so that all our trainees and staff are safe and able to continue to the best of their abilities.
What is the current situation regarding the Coronavirus?
Key events that affect our locations are listed below. You can view a map of the outbreak here.
- Thursday, 12th March
- The Czech Republic declares a state of emergency.
- Saturday, 14th March
- The Spanish government declares a state of alarm, with new measures similar to those which have already been implemented in Italy – closing public schools and limiting nonessential travel for 15 days (now extended to 45 days) in an attempt to control the outbreak.
- Monday, 16th March
- Spain closes its borders to non-residents and non-citizens.
- The Czech Republic imposes a nationwide quarantine until 24th March. Borders will also remain closed and people are required to stay home, except for going to work and carrying out essential duties.
- Tuesday, 17th March
- The European Union closes its borders to non-EU residents and non-EU citizens for 30 days.
- Monday, 23rd March
- Tuesday, 24th March
- India orders a 3-week lockdown.
- Saturday, 28th March
- Saturday, 4th April
- Spain plans to extend state of alarm for 15 more days (until 26th April).
Following the recommendations of the national and local authorities, we have cancelled the following face-to-face sessions:
- CELTA in Barcelona from 30th March – 30th April, 4th–29th May, and 2nd–26th June
- CELTA in Prague from 20th April – 15th May and 25th May – 19th June
- CertTESOL in London from 6th April – 5th May
- CertTESOL in Kerala from 14th April – 15th May
100% Online CELTA course
Between April and July, we are offering a unique, first-time-ever opportunity to take the Cambridge CELTA course 100% online. Find out more here.
Planned face-to-face courses (subject to change)
We are hopeful that Europe will follow China’s trajectory and that the outbreak will be brought under control in the coming weeks. At the moment, we are still planning to run the following courses as scheduled:
- Cambridge CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL:
- CertTESOL in Kerala: 22nd June – 24th July (and following courses)
- CELTA in Barcelona: 29th June – 24th July (and following courses)
- CELTA in Prague: 29th June – 24th July (and following courses)
- CertTESOL in Málaga: 6th–31st July (and following courses)
- CertTESOL in London: 20th July – 14th August (and following courses)
- CertTESOL in Cádiz: 27th July – 28th August (and following courses)
- Trinity DipTESOL:
- All F2F Sessions are currently running as scheduled.
What happens if my course is cancelled? / What if I am unable to attend?
In the event that your course is cancelled or you are unable to attend (e.g., due to a travel ban), we will postpone your start date at no extra charge.
If you are unable to join a course in the following 12 months, we will process a refund of all fees paid to Oxford TEFL. Please note that we cannot be held responsible for fees paid to other companies. We recommend checking the refund policy before reserving flights or accommodation.
What if I begin to show symptoms?
If you are still in your country of residence, you will need to postpone your start date.
If you are actively enrolled in a course, please inform your Course Director right away. For mild cases, the authorities are asking people to self-isolate instead of going to the doctor (to avoid overcrowding hospitals). For severe cases, call the local emergency number:
- Spain, Czech Republic, and India: 112
- United Kingdom: 999
Do you have any courses that are 100% online?
Yes! Regardless of how the outbreak develops, our online teacher development courses will remain unaffected.
Given the massive shift to online teaching caused by the outbreak, many teachers are looking to improve their skills in this area. One of our most popular options right now is our Teaching English Online course. Participants of this course will learn all the skills needed to teach online from our experienced tutor on a one-to-one basis. We are currently offering a reduced course fee of €250 (regular fee €350).
You can see our full list of teacher development courses with tutor support below:
- Online Group Courses: €200, 30 hours over 6 weeks
- Teaching IELTS (10th April – 27th May 2020)
- English for Academic Purposes (19th June – 31st July 2020)
- Online One-to-One Courses:
€350,€250 starting any Friday, 30 hours over 3 or 6 weeks (you choose the length of study):
- Business English
- Young Learners
- Leadership in ELT
- Teaching IELTS
- English for Academic Purposes
- Teaching Cambridge Exams
- Teaching English Online
How will I know if there are changes?
We are closely monitoring the situation for updates to make informed decisions for our tutors and trainees. If there are any changes, this page will be updated, and we will notify any applicants who have applied for the affected session. Our priority is—and will continue to be—the safety of our staff and trainees. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]
Useful Links (General):
World Health Organisation (WHO) advice: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
NY Times Coronavirus Map: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html
Useful Links for Spain
UK Government travel advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/health
US Embassy: https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
El País in English (Spanish Newspaper): https://english.elpais.com/
Useful Links for the Czech Republic
UK Government travel advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/czech-republic
US Embassy in Prague: https://cz.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Useful Links for India
UK Government travel advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india
US Embassy in India: https://in.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Useful Links for the United Kingdom
COVID-19 Information for the public: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
Coronavirus (COVID-19) – NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/